Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Inteviewing the Interviewer: Intro

I've been doing a lot of interviewing these past few weeks, trying to find that dream job. There are a few companies I've talked to which I'd like to work for, and a few which I probably wouldn't want to. I recently was given an offer by health provider for a position in their IT group. This job would be a Java software engineering position. The interview itself wasn't too hard (compared to Google that is). In fact, thanks to my experience with Google, I've been a lot more confident and stronger in my interview skills. So I talked twice to them, once with their recruiter, basically to set up the interview and once at their offices. The on-site interview entailed talking to the project manager about my own work experience, technologies I've been involved with, stuff like that. After that a software guy came out with a print out of Java questions. He threw a wide variety of questions at me. Some I did good on, a few I couldn't get but in the end, they really liked me. A few days later I received an offer, which would represent a 10% raise for me. Part of me thought that it wasn't enough so I apologized and declined the offer stating that I would only accept the job if I was offered a 15% raise. This gave me more time to think about the position and if they offered me more, by the time they got back to me, I would have weighed all of the factors in. The decision making time is where I think "interviewing the interview" plays the most important part. Is this job the right fit for you? Even if you get an offer, should you just take it? When I go into an interview I am armed with a slew of questions that I want to ask them. I know when interviewing, it is always good to ask questions because companies seem to factor that in during the interview process, but that shouldn't be the end to it. Asking questions allows you to know more about the company and see if they fit what you are looking for.

No comments: